Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Old Stomping Grounds


COLUMBUS, Miss. - The return of the World of Outlaws Late Model Series to Columbus Speedway – aka ‘The Baddest Bullring in the South’ – for the ‘Cash Cow 100’ on March 17-19 brought back plenty of memories for me. I was able to renew old friendships with people from the Columbus area.

I'm ready for Bullring duty
It wasn’t too long ago that I lived in Columbus, Miss., for seven months. I helped open the Magnolia Motor Speedway (the newer track just across town from The Bullring) and I announced the first-ever race there.

I made plenty of friends in Mississippi during my stint there, so it was great to head back to a track I consider my old stomping grounds for the Cash Cow 100. It was fun working alongside Columbus Speedway announcer Ross (‘The Boss’) Tingle in the booth throughout the weekend. I got to see tech man Ricky Ward and other officials there, like Clint, Annette and Melvin.

The weather was perfect for the Cash Cow 100, the races went off perfectly and we had just an unbelievable time. Ross took me, my girlfriend Sandy and fellow WoO officials Terry Watson, Mary Watson and Mark Coglianese to Jack’s Steak & Fish on Friday night – that was a good time – Columbus promoter Johnny Stokes and his whole crew showed us great hospitality all weekend.

All in all, it was nice to return to a small part of my life…but as you all know, there is no other life like “Life as an Outlaw!”

No comments:

Post a Comment